Come as you are. Leave feeling better.

Be More Efficient with Your Time in the Gym

February 8, 2017


Learn how to make your time in the gym more efficient, and 30 minutes is all you need! The key to an efficient, 30-minute workout is intensity. It is important to workout in a way that not only challenges your strength, but also your stamina. An effective way to turn 30 minutes into an intense, full-body workout is to structure it in the form of intervals and circuits.


Pick a few exercises and perform each one for a certain amount of time or number of reps in a continuous circuit, resting for a short time after each exercise. The key is keeping your rest time short! (Shoot for a 2:1 work/rest ratio) Repeat that two or three more times and then start all over with a different set or group of exercises.


High intensity interval workouts build muscle in a way that doesn’t necessarily require heavy lifting. They also burn fat and increase cardiovascular endurance. Interval training ramps up your metabolism to keep your body burning calories for up to two hours after you leave the gym.


The great thing about circuit/interval training is it’s very easy to adapt and structure in a way that suits you. Mix and match exercises to create a workout that is not only effective but also enjoyable. Thirty minutes spent in the gym is roughly 2% of your day. Work hard and use that time to improve the other 98%.


Here’s an example of a 30 minute, full-body workout you can try:


Warmup:

Warm-Up Video

Jumping Jacks (30s)

Lunges w/rotation (30s)

Toy Soldiers (30s)

(30s rest)

x2


Circuit #1 Video

Goblet Squats (40s)

(20s rest)

DB Overhead Press (40s)

(20s rest)

x3


Circuit#2 Video

Renegade Row (40s)

(20s rest)

Reverse Lunges (40s)

(20s rest)

x3


Circuit #3 Video

DB Chest Press (40s)

(20s rest)

DB Lateral Raise (40s)

(20s rest)

x3


Circuit #4 Video

Bicep Curls (40s)

(20s rest)

Triceps Pushdown (40s)

(20s rest)

x3


Circuit #5 Video

Burpees (30s)

Plank (30s)

(30s rest)

x2


Max Henault:
American Counsel of Exercise Certified Personal Trainer
Group Fitness Instructor
Teaches Bodyweight Blitz Wednesdays 5:30pm at Brookline Village